Computer SKills Gurus Are Made Everyday In Nigeria By Jed Adeyemi

Monday, June 29, 2009

Computer Skills Income: Learn More From My Story

…May be by now some of you are thinking this must be some very brilliant and talented guy writing like this, or that this person must have been born into the computer, or is one computer genius, well, you may not be very correct. Why? You may ask, this is because my skills are very simple, and only recently acquired, and of course I’m still learning. I will tell you how I came to start learning to use the computer, it is very recent and I still remember most of the details….

…My first experience on the computer was in mid 2005. School was not in session, so instead of going home to be with my family, I chose to stay around. A friend of mine had a P.C. of her own, and with it she always received jobs to do for people for which she gets paid, thereby sustaining herself. Since school was not in session, she chose to go home. She left her system in care of another colleague who is also computer-literate. I walked up to her (the other colleague), can you teach me the computer? I asked. In return she asked “can you teach me music?” (That was because I was a singer and an instrumentalist).
“Well, that is a fair bargain” I said in reply.
‘When do we start’
‘We can start now’

So my computer-literacy lessons started, it proved to be very valuable to me as you will see though it only lasted for thereabout of one month. But I learnt the basics such as: booting a system, the desktop, launching a programme, the file menu, typing tutorship. It proved to be worth the time I decided to spend away from the comfort of my home and I acquired some basic useful skills.

However in September, I how enrolled into a computer school. It was not such a big or sophisticated institution. It was the type of business center/computer school. There I enrolled for their Certificate Word Processing Course where one learnt Microsoft Word, Pagemaker, Typing tutorship. It was a two-month course and I got certificated by them in December 2005.

Meanwhile I had made plan to buy my own system that very month so as not to loose the skill I had acquired. I always enjoyed sitting on the system (just like some of you do). So I purchased my first system in December 2005 around the Christmas season. It was a Pentium II, 5MB Hard Drive, Windows 98 installed. I just loved it those days (it is even still with me today). I always browsed through it, just going into different areas of the Operating System (O.S.), even things I was never thought. I started browsing other software installed in it, just enjoying the fun of exploration. Unknown to me, I was learning even beyond my wildest dreams. I was exploring and experimenting, and learning too…

…Meanwhile in 2006, I was in my final year in college. I was already computer-literate. I had experimented and learnt other programmes in addition to the ones I learnt at the computer school. In addition I had learnt PowerPoint, Excel, was learning S.P.S.S., and was just increasing my knowledge on the computer.

These skills proved to be more than invaluable in my final year in college. You know I was not from a rich background, and my parents where only struggling to keep us in school (at least to acquire first degrees). You know the experiences of a final year student in the college. The term papers, assignments, research, etc. In all these, you have to use the computer i.e. go to business center to do those things. I could always do them on my computer. This proved to be very invaluable in many ways, for example:
§ It enforced my knowledge/skill already acquired
§ It saved me a lot of money, time and stress that would have been spent going to computer center to do them.
§ It started me into business because I had to work for some of my colleagues for which I was paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-18366724-2